The software industry is vast, complex and in a constant state of flux, influenced greatly by the globalization of myriad products and service offerings. While working on different domains and business landscapes, software engineering teams face various challenges such as rapid technological advancements, limited infrastructure/resources, increasing customer demands, conflicts with software testing teams, and much more.
Are quality and quick delivery big challenges for you? Are you also struggling to overcome these challenges in software development? If yes, then DevOps adoption is all you need.
In this blog, we will explain:
- What DevOps is?
- How to overcome challenges in software development with DevOps Adoption?
Let’s first find out What DevOps is?
DevOps is a new term that emerges from the collision of two major related trends. The first one is called “agile operations” or “agile infrastructure”, which involves applying Agile and Lean approaches to operation work. The second one includes the collaboration between development and operations teams throughout the different stages of the development lifecycle.
In simple terms, DevOps is the practice where the development and operation teams participate together in the entire lifecycle of product development, from design to development and production support. According to the 2017 State of DevOps Report, the organizations that effectively utilizes DevOps principles of agile and lean thinking have achieved,
- 46% more software deployments compared to their competitors
- 96% quick recovery from failures
- 440x faster lead time for changes
- relatively higher level of customer satisfaction and operational efficiency.
How DevOps Helps?
Any activity that adds extra cost or time without adding any value can be eliminated with DevOps adoption.
With continuous feedback loops, changes or iterations are fed back into the system at every stage of the development process.
Any delays that are caused by manual processes are eliminated with DevOps’ automation and as a result, the cycle time and bottlenecks are also reduced.
DevOps implementation services ensure that every deployment complies with the policy ( company/government/regulatory) hence optimizing the risk management.
DevOps business benefits do not end here. DevOps reduces duplication, overhead, and rework, thus helping in overcoming various product development challenges associated with the traditional approach.
How DevOps Helps In Solving Product Development Challenges?
Challenge 1: Reducing Time to Market:
The pressure of capturing new markets and releasing new updates quickly to meet consumer demands has enhanced the overall complexity associated with the software development lifecycle. This often brings challenges that are not easy to handle using the traditional SDLC approach, especially when it comes to reducing time-to-market.
The only fail-proof way to accelerate the speed of software development is by bringing in end-to-end adoption. And, DevOps is a major driving force behind such adoption. Automation helps in accelerating time to market and helps you to capitalize on the value of products.
- DevOps implementation services power continuous integration, deployment, and software delivery.
- It ensures smaller and frequent deployments to production.
- New features can be delivered straight through production and test environments.
- Increases the pace of releases.
- Drives productivity across development and operations and helps you deliver better services quickly and at less cost.
Challenge 2: Shortening the release cycle:
With the traditional software development approach, reducing the release cycle is not easily achievable. The minute you introduce a change, it flows from the time-consuming process of scheduling, defining, implementing, testing, verification, and documentation, before it is deployed to production. This is a major challenge that plagues the traditional approach.
One of the biggest DevOps business benefits is velocity. DevOps implementation services ensure moving the feature into production faster. In the present digital era, turnaround should be faster and seamless. DevOps focuses on achieving continuous feedback and rapidly into the product development lifecycle.
DevOps increases velocity by reducing:
- Time-to-collect and implement feedback thus preventing costly anomalies or outages.
- Time-to-code and hence increasing time-to-production. This leads to quality improvements and increased operational stability.
- Time to respond to the constantly changing market conditions
Challenge 3: Reducing Software Development Cost
Although software development is getting more agile, project cycles are getting smaller, yet development cost doesn’t seem to come down.
Adopting DevOps practices enable organizations to gain a clearer picture of the entire software development lifecycle such as the types of resources that are required to be used, ways that can help in controlling IT expenses, and solutions that help reduce cost and boost infrastructure usage.
How does DevOps aid in reducing software development costs?
- Helps in reducing the cost of launching and updating new features.
- Lowers down the process management costs as the overheads due to manual interventions get eliminated.
- Minimizes the product development and deployment costs.
- Continuous integration and continuous delivery associated with DevOps help you achieve the required levels of reliability and scalability.
Challenge 4: Leveraging IT To Achieve Business Goals
Quite often, product organizations fail to leverage IT to achieve business objectives due to ineffective infrastructure. This results in low-quality products which fail to provide the desired return on investment. Aligning IT with business objectives is hardly practised by any organization.
Developing an environment that allows IT and business to stand behind a common goal of well-understood objectives helps you achieve your business objectives in time. DevOps facilitates collaboration between Development, Operations, and QA teams by breaking down the silos and encourages them to work together toward a single goal — creating more value to the organization which eventually adds more value to customers and accelerates business growth.
How DevOps benefits business and helps them acquire goals?
- Transforms IT to deliver agility and innovation.
- Enhances collaboration, and automation resulting in process improvement.
- Brings substantial improvement in overall business performance.
- Boosts the work process, speeds up feature implementation, optimizes product quickly, and delivers system application with fewer errors.
Challenge 5: Promoting Innovation
With the traditional software development process, it becomes difficult for developers to spend time exploring new trends and brainstorming new ideas.
DevOps holds the key to unlock software development innovation. DevOps allows you to deliver software products rapidly, providing developers with bandwidth to experiment with additional features and improve the effectiveness of existing ones. Developers can validate the feasibility of their new ideas by performing proof of concept without causing any disruption to the current project.
How DevOps nurtures innovation?
- DevOps enables teams to learn more and to understand customer expectations better. Brainstorming different perspectives and bouncing ideas off each other is what stems innovation.
- DevOps promotes an environment where developers are not restricted to a set of inflexible instructions, this means high chances of innovation.
- DevOps results in collaborative working, which leads to ideation and rapid testing, giving your software delivery the space to thrive.
So, this is how DevOps help overcome software development challenges. However, for DevOps to be a true success, you need to link and measure three important factors — the quality of software, the performance of software, and speed of delivery. Systango, DevOps consultancy, London, unifies your development and operations into a single agile delivery, leveraging the best tools to manage infrastructure and enabling transparency and collaboration of teams.
Here are the offerings we have at your disposal:
It is crucial to integrate DevOps strategy in such a way that aligns with your business objectives. Systango as your DevOps service provider regulates your delivery processes, enables you to regulate the delivery processes, enables an agile work culture, and lowers time to market.
Integrated DevOps managed services make Systango the leading DevOps consultancy, London. Systango looks after your basic requirements like continuous integration, monitoring, and training. We automate your feedback mechanism for faster implementation and customer-driven results.
Organizations must adapt to new business models and technologies to stay at par and on top of industry trends. Systango enables you to automate and migrate workflows, production, and deliverables through the cloud.
Here is how we helped our clients leverage DevOps
One of the world’s largest social apps, Grindr relies on Systango for its DevOps and QA expertise.
Grindr wanted to create a platform that was more than just a means to chat and meet, but a place for a passionate and progressive lifestyle. They needed to work on their performance and Quality Assurance, that’s when they thought of approaching Systango to help them with their pain points.
- Our team built & improved app functionalities and UX.
- We were involved in rewriting the chat integration system.
- We worked on chat screens that use MongooseIM.
- We performed end-to-end testing of their app on both the iOS and Android platforms to ensure the client’s objectives were met.
Waitlist came to us for technical expertise, to build a full version SAAS Queue-Management Web App from an MVP and redo their iOS and Android app.
We have been working with Waitlist since 2012, managing their web platform, Google Cloud environment, iOS app, and external integrations.
The relationship has now grown beyond a vendor-client and we are now very tightly integrated with Waitlist core values.
Connect with Systango (DevOps consultancy, London) to help you manage your DevOps and cloud automation needs. As a DevOps service provider, we are committed to delivering the best and what is best for you.
Originally published at https://www.systango.com on July 14, 2021.